23 February, 2019

Religion

I will be as blunt as possible right from the start so you don't waste your time reading something you disagree with.

If you live your life in accordance to a book written thousands of years ago (and embellished throughout the generations to accomplish some selfish assholes' goals) you're a fool and cannot think for yourself. 

If you wait for God, Allah, Buddah, Odin, Ares or some other mythical "being" to solve your problems you get what's coming to you.  The whole of any religion is contradictory to itself.  Religion is a way for a few to control many.  The Devil is in the details.

Generally speaking, most Muslims, Christians, Buddhists and Pagans are all about supporting their communities.  Feeding those who are hungry, housing those who have no home, aiding those who are sick...  That's not religion.  That's just being a decent human.  What difference does it make if a hungry person is homosexual, muslim, christian, pagan etc.  When someone falls, you pick them up.  Period.

I was forced into attending church as a child.  I didn't believe any of it and rebelled at every opportunity.  I skipped out of the conformation classes frequently and when confronted by my parents I would ask "What are they gonna do?  Hold me back another year?"  It was important to my parents, but not to me.  There's a twist to the story.

My Mother's Father, Grandpa Arnie, was a Methodist Minister.  Grandpa had married Grandma, in secret mind you, had three children (my Mother being their first) and were farmers.  This all happened in the midst of the Great Depression.  Grandpa, due to having a family, or being a conscientious objector, worked in a bomb factory during WWII as his way to contribute to the war effort.  I don't know the details, but at the end of WWII he heard the calling of God and gave up farming to become a servant of God.  Though I'm not a "good" christian, I can't help but respect my Grandfather for having the cajones to throw everything to the wind and pursue something he thought was his destiny. 

My Mother's family was living on a shoestring as farmers but once Grandpa started his journey to becoming a servant of God, things for them became dire.  Mom frequently tells stories of how they depended on donations to keep them alive.  During Grandpa's time earning his theology degree (something most "preachers" don't possess) his youngest child, my Uncle, contracted polio.  You anti-vaxxers are idiots.  Through hand-me-down clothes, used cars and donations of food, Grandpa completed his degree and became a Minister.  He became an evangelist of the purist form.  Not the Billy Graham type of bullshit "evangelist".  Grandpa took care of his flock.  He visited people at their homes, made sure they had enough to eat, fixed their tractors (he was an old farm boy after all), visited the sick in hospitals...  He was being a good person and looking out for his fellow man. 

Grandpa baptized countless babies, married countless couples and presided over the funerals of his people.  It was this world in which I was raised.  Though I did not like being forced into attending church every Sunday, Grandpa's humanity was passed to me.  It is a gift of which I am most thankful for.  That gift is, for me, what "religion" is.  Taking care of your fellow man.  Regardless of what a person's beliefs are.  If you are hungry I will feed you.  I'll also show you how to bait the hook so you can fish for yourself.  If you are cold I will bring you firewood to heat your home.  I will also show you how to sharpen an ax, fell a tree and split logs.

Outside of the sermons I heard Grandpa give, I never heard any of the "The bible says this and the bible says that..." nonsense.  I have exactly two sermons of Grandpa's on tape.  They are very precious to me.  In those two sermons he is expressing how to be a good person.  Help your fellow man.  To me THAT is what religion is all about.  Helping people.

No comments: